Thursday, May 07, 2009

Listen to the snow

I have to share this with y'all... this is a poem my mother wrote about me. It made me pretty teary because it's a true story. My mom is so sweet. (BTW, Ringling people... in my family, I'm Little Sarah. I think it's kinda funny considering I was Big Sarah in college & Watts was Little Sarah. haha.) I'm going to illustrate it, and who knows, maybe we can get it published. I've got two very big projects now to keep me busy when I get back to Texas - I'm leaving May 15th. Time to pack!

Enjoy the poem. :)

Listen to the Snow by Elizabeth Caterisano

Once upon a time
Not so long ago
My little Sarah said to me,
"Is she listening to the snow?"

I saw her teacher's smiling face
In the morning light
Snow glistened on her ear muffs
Such a pretty sight!

Little Sarah was born with hearing loss
Which means she can not hear
All the things that we do
Quite as loud and not as clear

I turned to her and said the snow
Falls silently on the ground
Although I really wish that we
Could listen to the sound

She turned and said "I hear it!
I hear it with my eyes!
Can you hear it mommy?"
And much to my surprise...

I heard so many things that day
She pointed out to me
"We'll listen while we play outside,
can you hear that tree?"

We heard the snowy sunshine
We heard the clouds drift by
We heard the black birds flap their wings
As they soared so high

We listened to the ducks that swam
Upon the icy lake
We watched the sun set slowly
To hear the sound it makes

She put her head against my heart
Not so long ago
"Can you hear it snowing mommy?"
"Yes, I hear the snow"

3 comments:

Gato Casero said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gato Casero said...

Hi!!! I just saw your blog and website, beautiful work! Congratulations!! The only thing is the website takes a long time to see the images, maybe that could be faster.

Sarah Marino said...

This poem is so beautiful. I cannot wait to see what you do with it.

I'll give you a call when I'm in Dallas next week if you're not too busy, hopefully we can meet up!