Friday, June 26, 2009

Strength

Here's a new illustration I did for the tarot card "Strength." It has an interesting meaning to it. I think the reason I like tarot cards so much is that they all have a story and a lesson - they don't have to tell your future for you to learn something from them.



This one's story is about the Fool. The Fool is powerful and arrogant, and victorious over his enemies. He sees a maiden struggling with a lion, and as he runs to help he realizes that she is gently but firmly shutting the lion's mouth shut. In awe, he asks how she does it and she explains, "There are many unworthy impulses inside us. It is not wrong to have them. But it is wrong to let them control us. We are human, not beast, and we can command such energy, use them for higher purposes." The important message of the strength card is not to give up. To have the courage to keep at it till you succeed and to have the faith and optimism that you will succeed.
I hope it reminds you to do the same. Thanks for checkin it out, hope you like it. :)

4 comments:

Jared Fiorino said...

Looks good! Although I will say I miss the strength of the line work you had in the progress shot. It worked really well. But that's me, I like line. Very nice otherwise!

Jordie Bellaire said...

I love her feetsies and the way the lion glows. Very soft and elegant.

mclean said...

Nice one, for whatever reason this image feels more "finished" to me than the illustrations preceding it - totally a step in the right direction!

Carmen SaldaƱa said...

Hello Sara!
It´s a nice illustration, especially I like the face of the lion, it´s truly beautiful. And the message of the card is very inspirational.
What technique do you use?Watercolors maybe?

:-)