Thursday, July 23, 2009

Ruby, MJ, and Cutlet - a sketchbook dump

Hi there,

It's been a while since I have updated. I have been doing some stuff for a purchase print company that I can't disclose just yet. However, I have been sketching and did a couple of odd jobs that I thought I'd share.

First, I met a random dude in Allen who wanted a tattoo. He saw my sketchbook and said 'Dude, this'll only take you like 10 minutes.' We agreed on a very small price. I end up totally redoing this drawing a few times, but we agreed on charging a little more for making me deal with his inability to make up his mind. He loves it, now, but I am holding his drawing and his shirt (which pictures the baphomet's face, for reference) hostage until he pays me.



He said something that I think is a very common misconception that artists have to deal with. "Dude, I didn't know you'd actually care about money, y'know? I thought, like, you'd just be honored to have your artwork on someone's skin forever." I asked him if he was paying the tattoo artist to put the drawing on him, and if he paid for the shirt he loaned me, etc. etc. I wish I had a pamphlet to hand out to people like this, with a good explanation of why work for free and work for 'publicity' isn't an honor, and why artists should be paid.

Moving along...
My sketchbook looks like the development of a schizophrenic patient. The farther along you read, the more nutty the drawings. Here are the drawings I wasn't too embarassed to share:







And finally, another thing that had been keeping me busy lately is designing and coding my brother's website.

He has an alter ego named DJ Cutlet that is sort of a satire-rapper, kind of like Asher Roth and The Lonely Island, but he'd kill me he knew I compared him to them. He writes and composes (and sings) all his music. It's definitely worth a listen, but make sure you have your headphones on if you're at work!

3 comments:

Erin McGuire said...

Yeah, that attitude kills me. I think that since art is a fun activity for those who don't do it full time (such as taking an arts and crafts class) that people assume that it isn't work. Hope it all works out. I dig the sketches :]

Niki López said...

well said, madam.

Margarita Gutierrez said...

I'm totally loving the MJ and the "OMFG" creatures.